Sunday, December 11, 2011

55 pounds in 55 weeks

Many people (including myself) are participating in the 52 books in 52 weeks challenge, where they try to read a book every week of 2012. I've decided to give myself an additional challenge of losing a pound a week, starting today and ending at the end of 2012.

Starting weight: 280
Starting BMI: 41.3

Goal weight: 225
Goal BMI: 33.2

That goal is not considered "healthy." I will still be obese. I will still be bigger than most of the people I know outside of my family. And I am okay with that. I don't think that everyone has to be the same size. I don't think that BMI charts are the best way to judge if someone's healthy. I don't think that there's anything wrong with being fat. I actually like it to some extent. I like being squishy. I like that I'm more fun to hug.

What I don't like is that I'm still close to 40 pounds more than I was through most of high school and college. Most of my clothes don't fit anymore. I used to be a size 18 and wear XL shirts. Now I shift between a size 20 and 22, and I wear 2XL shirts. I used to want to be a size 14. Now I just want to go back to where I was. I would still like to get down a little lower (size 16), but I would be okay with not. This year, I just want to focus on getting back to a comfortable 18. I think getting down to 225 would get me there.

I started Weight Watchers about this time last year, and I lost 30 pounds in three months. I've kept 15 pounds off, which is nice, but I want to do more. I don't want to get back to where I was. I also don't want to pay $20 a month for their online tools. I bought a PointsPlus calculator. I bought the books. I know how Weight Watchers works. I am going to use this blog to keep track of my daily food intake and weekly weigh-ins. I hope doing so will help keep me on track.


No comments:

Post a Comment